A tasty, healthy, quick side dish for grilled meats or on top of brown rice.
- 1 ½ Cups Sweet Onion, diced into ¼” pieces
- 1 small Jalapeno chile, seeds removed and diced into ¼” pieces*
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ Tsp. Ground Cumin
- ¼ Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2-4 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- 2-3 Tbsp. Santa Fe Ole Red Chile Honey
- ¼ Cup White or Cider Vinegar
- 1 15 oz. Can Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. Can Cannelini Beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt to taste
*For just a hint of heat, cut the chile in half and discard seeds. Do not dice; cook and discard chile halves before serving.
In a medium sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add olive oil and sauté the onion and jalapeno. When the onion is almost soft, add the garlic cumin and stir to avoid burning. Add the broth, bay leaf, thyme, Red Chile Honey, vinegar and the beans. Stir to incorporate and season with salt.
Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and thyme (and jalapeno). Serve immediately.