Eastern Indian flavors, this is a quick, hearty, healthful vegetarian meal or a great side dish to accompany pork or chicken.
- 1 small head Cauliflower, cut into small flowerettes
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 2 Onions, dice into “garbanzo bean size”
- 2 stalks Celery, dice into “garbanzo bean size”
- 8 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 2” piece of Ginger Root, finely grated
- 2 Tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1½ cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 15 oz cans Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz (1 cup or more) Santa Fe Ole Foods’ Hot Green Chile
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Plain yogurt
- Chopped Cilantro leaves
- Hot, cooked Basmati Rice
- Preheat oven to 500 F
- On a cookie sheet, place the Cauliflower flowerettes, in a pile.
- Drizzle generously with Olive Oil, sprinkle with the Sugar and Salt to taste.
- Spread out and roast for about 11-14 minutes, or until there are very brown spots on the cauliflower.
- Remove from the oven, stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat a 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add the Onion and Celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Push the mixture to one side of the skillet and place the side that has no mixture on the burner.
- Turn to medium and pour 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil into the skillet and add Garlic, Ginger, Cumin and Coriander.
- Sauté, stirring, for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Immediately add tomatoes, chiles, 2 cups water*, Bay Leaves, Garbanzo Beans and thoroughly stir.
- Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the Cauliflower and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the Cauliflower is soft.
Taste to adjust seasonings.
To serve, place on top of hot Rice. Garnish with Plain Yogurt and Cilantro leaves.