As this soup sits, the flavors meld and it gets better. If possible, refrigerate overnight and serve the next day.
- 1 large Onion, dice into ¼” pieces
- 2 stalks Celery, dice into ¼” pieces
- 2 large Carrots, peel and dice into “bean-size” pieces
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 4”sprig fresh Rosemary
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz. cans of Black Beans, drain and rinse
- 1 15 oz. can of Black Bean Refried Beans
- 8 oz. (1 cup or more) Santa Fe Olé Roasted New Mexico Green Chile
- Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Lime wedges
- Into a large sauce pan, place 2-4 Tbsp Olive Oil and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Add the Celery and Onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add Cumin (ground and seeds) and Garlic, sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Immediately add Black Beans, Refried Beans, Carrots, Green Chile and 2 cups of water.
- Stir well to incorporate Refried Beans into the liquid.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Cover the pot and turn heat to low.
- Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, about half hour.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Remove Bay Leaves and Rosemary sprig prior to serving.
Serve very hot with a dollop of Sour Cream and a sprinkling of Cilantro with a Lime wedge on the side.